As a singer it’s your moment of truth – Singing Auditions. It’s your opportunity to shine through and get a chance to showcase your talent. Here are some of the things you should keep in mind to make the most of the opportunity. There are tons of singing competitions on TV these days. You must have seen them and know how they are conducted. Before appearing for singing auditions you should know if this is what you want to do, if you are confident enough to face the stage and believe you have a good voice that can keep people interested. If you are sure to take the next step, we bring you some tips to help you be better prepared for singing auditions.
• Reach the venue on time. Being late leaves a bad first impression. Don’t reach too early though as the waiting part can be exhausting.
• Practice well to make sure you are in best of your sound. If you are out of practice, make sure you tune in your vocal chords well before performing.
• Practice your song with and without accompaniment, to be ready for either kind of arrangement. Record yourself and hear it a couple of times to watch vocal and visual points.
• Walk in the audition with confidence and maintain a good posture.
• If you have been given audition material, prepare a couple of times before the performance.
• If you commit a mistake, just keep going. Never try to redo the part you fumbled.
• Present the song you are most confident about. Singing auditions are not a place for new experiments. Choose the songs best suited to your range and style of singing. Also, the song should not be too easy to project your potential. Sometimes a fresh approach to a popular song also gets attention.
• Dress casually, nothing too flashy or uncomfortable.
• Warm up systematically. It’s good to start with some humming and light vocal exercises.
• Remember that your mood and body language is going to have an impact on the quality of your voice. You can practice in front of a mirror to monitor and correct your presentation.
• Don’t move around while singing. Let the hand and arm movements be natural. Keep your hands out of pockets.
If you have practiced well and fine-tuned your delivery, you would be able to give the kind of performance that will impress the judges. Singing is a very rewarding and well-paying career if you can work hard to place yourself properly in the industry.