Weight is a sensitive topic for people worldwide. Today, fitness gurus, gymnasiums, self help books on fitness and weight loss listicles are mushrooming everywhere making the general public all the more health conscious. Hitting the gymnasium, going for runs, cycling, following controlled diet with regulated levels of sugar and caffeine are few organic methods to lose body fat and get healthy.
The age of junk food and instant noodles is making it hard for people to shed calories and thus their weight. People resort to various weight loss techniques surgically, when all the other non-surgical techniques like exercising, diet plans do not work out.
There are many surgical techniques such as gastric bypass surgery, laparoscopic banding surgery, sleeve gastrectomy etc. Such surgeries are absolutely inadvisable for anyone wishing to undergo weight loss. Weight loss through surgical methods is called for, only and only if other non-surgical methods do not work at all. Also experts strongly feel that bariatric procedures as mentioned above are no way a method of weight loss for people who do not want to exercise or follow diet programs. They are strictly life-saving procedures and should be kept that.
What is Lap Band surgery?
In a laparoscopic banding surgery, the bariatric surgeon uses a laparoscope for examining the internal organs in the abdomen. A laparoscope is nothing but a telescope with a camera on end and a light beam on the other. The surgery commences with multiple incisions made by the operating surgeon in your abdomen. These incisions enable him to view the insides of the abdomen through the laparoscope and other instruments with ease. The surgeon then divides the abdominal area into 2 parts by placing a band inside. The band separates the lower stomach from the upper stomach. Placing the band creates a pouch inside the stomach.
The surgery involves connecting the smaller pouch with the intestine. This causes the person to become full sooner. Since the consumed food gets deposited in the small pouch, he feels full even on consuming smaller portions of food.
There has been a sharp rise in the cases of people undergoing Lap Band Surgery in India in the last 5 years. This trend is visible all thanks to the changing lifestyle and rising obesity amongst Indians. It is no wonder that India ranks third in the global obesity index. To know the prices of lap band surgery.
What should the diet be post surgery?
Mashed foods and liquid intake is advised by surgeons for 2-3 weeks after surgery. You should be fine enough to eat regular food in a matter of 6 weeks post surgery.
Are you eligible for it?
Following are few of the criteria for checking if you stand eligible for undergoing laparoscopic gastric banding surgery:
- A person is eligible for undergoing laparoscopic gastric banding surgery only if the decision is approved by a medical surgeon.
- The person should have completed 18 years of age
- This surgery is advisable only if all other attempts to lose weight have failed to garner long-term results
- The Body Mass Index (BMI) which is based on the weight and height of a person, should be 40 or greater than 40
You are not eligible if:
- You or anyone from your family has a history or symptoms of autoimmune disease of connective tissues. In other words, if you have arthritis, systemic sclerosis, sceloderma or any such disease then this surgery is not advised.
- You are a patient suffering from chronic lung or heart diseases
- Hypertension, allergies or any existent infection in the body is a deterrent for anyone wishing to undergo laparoscopic gastric banding surgery
- This surgery is inadvisable if you are a pregnant woman or on steroids for treatment of any other condition
- A person who is an alcohol or drug addict cannot undergo this surgery
Risks behind undergoing laparoscopic banding surgery:
If not performed carefully, the person undergoing this surgery may get deep vein thrombosis, pus built-up in the body tissues, pneumonia, changes in bowel function,hernia, indigestion, blood clots and many more. What’s more such surgeries may also prove fatal at times. Experts say that the risks are equally high as in any cardiac or brain procedure.
All said and done, just like every coin has 2 sides. This surgery has a satisfactory success rate too. Choosing a renowned surgeon and being disease-free are prime factors that decide the success of the surgery.